All too often we walk through life on autopilot, not stretching ourselves. Maybe it’s fear or maybe it is the busy-ness of life. This year we challenge you to be the best version of yourself by being present and active. Are you starting a new travel position? Would you like to pass your knowledge on to others? What would you like to accomplish this year? Think about where you would like to be one year from now; then take small steps in that direction.
How to Be the Best Version of Yourself
Begin by assessing where you are right now in your life. What do you like about your life personally and professionally? What do you want to change? Take small steps to make future-you a reality this year. Each step you take is bringing you closer to where you want to be.
- Write down realistic goals. Get a promotion at work. Learn a new skill. Gain experience in a new practice area. Be on time. Exercise 30 minutes a day on most days. Do yoga once a week. Begin a bedtime ritual. Take a travel nurse position in a new city or town. These are a few ideas.
- Develop a plan to accomplish your goals. Talk to your recruiter and supervisor about how you can gain new experience. Ask what you need to accomplish to get a promotion. Wake up a few minutes early to get to work on time. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park farther away and walk more. Make your lunch the night before. Make clear, simple steps to help you reach your goals.
- Don’t beat yourself up if you fall off your plan. All too often we make plans to be the best version of ourselves and then life happens. The kids are sick. The spouse can’t leave work early to pick up the kids at school. There is an unplanned vet visit. The car breaks down. Whatever the reason, life can get in the way. Handle it with grace and find a way to get back on track.
- Mentor and support others. If you’ve extended your contract and aren’t the new person at work anymore, take the new person to lunch. Help them find their way around a new facility. Make them feel at home. Giving back is a great way to feel better about yourself and improve the life of someone else.
- Find a hobby and ask others to join you. If you and your coworkers have been talking about hiking more or attending a wine tasting, make plans with them to make that happen. Host a game night at your house. Invite friends to local festivals. Who knows what you might learn and who you might meet!
- Take care of yourself mentally as well as physically. Medical professionals are known for taking care of others above themselves. Whether it’s taking care of patients or your own friends and family, you may not think of how to help YOU as often as you should. Find a way to be good to yourself this year. Find a quiet place to read. Take yourself for a spa day – or invite friends to join you. Go for a bike ride exploring your town. Have fun!
You can’t be the best version of yourself if you’re always taking care of others. This year we challenge you to be present with friends and family while taking time for yourself.
We’d love to hear from you. Contact your travel nurse recruiter and let them know what you’re doing to be the best version of yourself this year. We can’t wait to hear your stories!
Interested in becoming a travel medical professional? Visit our Job Board to see what’s available and contact us today!