Are you considering a career as a travel nurse? In talking to our recruiters, we hear a lot about why travel nursing is a great profession and what myths we need to dispel. Travel nursing provides opportunities to expand your skillset and experience, live in a new place, meet new people, and experience new cultures, to name a few. It is a great opportunity for personal and professional growth and looks great on a resume to show your wide range of skills.
In this article, we are sharing why travel nursing is a great career choice and how AB Staffing can help you through the hiring process.
- Broaden your experience. Working at a different hospital will advance your skillset. Some hospitals have trauma centers and others do not. Some have IV teams and others do not. A metropolitan hospital may offer specialized care whereas a rural hospital relies on travel nurses to jump in wherever needed. A teaching hospital may offer nurses the opportunity to participate in experimental treatments, be taught by doctors, and work directly with medical residents.
- Travel the country. Who can say they worked to earn a nursing degree AND made their dream of traveling the country a reality in one experience? Our travel nurses can, and so can you. Have you always wanted to live and work in a metropolitan area? Do you want to serve communities in need? Would you like to experience a small rural hospital or work at an Indian Health Services facility? Travel nursing is an opportunity to experience new places and different types of hospitals to see what you like and want to do in your career. AB Staffing places travelers across the country, from New York City to Seattle and everywhere in between. Think about what your ideal position would be and we will see if we can get you closer to making it a reality. Wherever you go, you will broaden your experience and learn more about yourself.
- Opportunity for new nurses. If you graduated from nursing school in the last few years, you might have debt. Travel nursing is a great career choice because it offers higher than average compensation plus you can experience several specialties before picking one. As a travel nurse, there is a good chance you will be a floater in different departments, giving you much-needed exposure while also earning a good salary. As you continue in your career, you will have these skills and be able to adapt more easily to change.
- Increased exposure to patient populations. As a nurse who works in one department in one facility, you may get into a rhythm of how to best serve patients in your area, but wouldn’t it be great to give back to a community in need. As a travel nurse, you are exposed to more patient populations, illnesses, and protocols than a shift nurse, as many as three or four times more.
- Networking opportunities. You can have friends in the medical field across the country. Take advantage of networking opportunities while traveling. Get to know people and let them get to know you. You never know where a business relationship may lead; it could land you in the job of your dreams now or in the future.
- Expand your skills. From computer systems to patient protocols, each assignment brings an opportunity to expand your skills. It may be challenging to learn a new system initially, but it will benefit you in the future and look great on a resume.
- Make it fun for the family. In this pandemic age of digital schooling and working from home, it is a great time to explore travel nursing as a career. If possible, your spouse and kids can work remotely while you gain experience on the job. On your days off, the family can explore your new hometown. We have many nurses who travel with a family and love it.
- Experience different cultures. One of the benefits of travel nursing is that you can experience new customs and people. This can broaden your career and boost your resume. Curious about native food, art, or local traditions? Get out and explore the area. Working in a rural facility or remote location is a great way to give back and learn about people that really need and appreciate your help.
- Men are entering nursing. The stigma of female-only nurses is diminishing and opening opportunities for men in nursing. In general, there is a greater need for nurses, male or female. Men are feeling a call to become nurses because of their interests and skills while others are entering the field after seeing their spouse having a good nursing experience.
Travel nursing can be a great choice for you no matter what stage you are in your career. We’d love to talk with you more about how we can help find a job that fits your needs. Contact Us today to learn more.