Where will you be spending the next few months? If you’re looking for winter travel assignments, we’ve got opportunities in Arizona, Florida, New York, and Texas. Here are a few highlights of each of the areas to get you started on your adventure!
Winter Travel Assignment: Arizona
Whether you take a contract in the metropolitan Phoenix area, the rural Navajo Nation, or somewhere in between, Arizona is a beautiful state at any time of the year. In the winter, you can brag to your friends that you’re shoveling sunshine instead of snow while sipping a drink on your patio. Not sure where to start? We’ve got a few ideas:
- Golfing is in its peak season in the winter. Prices are likely to be higher than in the summer, but the temperatures and views make up for it! San Marcos Golf Course in Chandler is the oldest golf course in the state, having been open since 1913, just one year after Arizona became a state.
- Hiking is also at peak season in the winter. Best Day Hikes from Arizona State Parks including Karchner, Lost Dutchman, Picacho Peak, and Slide Rock.
- The best Mexican food in the state is found in the copper mining town of Globe. Drive East on US 60, through Superior where you can buy Hatch chiles and homemade tortillas, then through Miami, and on to historic Globe, Arizona. La Casita, J&R, and Guayo’s on the Trail are favorites of locals and visitors alike.
- According to the Arizona Farm Bureau website, Arizona agriculture is a $23 billion industry. Grab your piece of locally grown fresh vegetables and locally made art and wares from the many farmer’s markets that happen throughout the week. Gilbert, Chandler, and Old Town Scottsdale are among the most popular.
Enjoy the winter weather as you explore Arizona!
Winter Travel Assignment: Florida
Another sunny, warm winter destination is Florida. We currently have job openings in the Miami, Jacksonville, and Orlando areas, to name a few. Here are a few highlights:
- Orlando Theme Parks: While COVID-19 has sidelined tourists for months, the parks are opening with precautions. Visit Orlando offers the latest news and updates to all the attractions.
- Miami offers nightlife, beaches, and more. Visit these Top 16 Beaches in Miami while on your 13-week travel contract.
- Foodies, Florida might be for you! From seafood to breweries to beachside dining, you’ve got your pick! Dive into the food scene and enjoy favorites like Tampa’s Cigar City or brunch at The Breakers in Palm Beach.
- Jacksonville offers hiking and nature hikes in and around the city. Put on your walking shoes, hat, and water and head out for an adventure.
Across the state of Florida, there are opportunities to dine outdoors, enjoy a leisurely brunch, and go to the beach, even in the winter. Enjoy your time here!
Winter Travel Assignment: New York City
If you’re heading to New York this holiday season, we recommend researching before heading out to one of many tourist destinations. Because they were a COVID-19 hotspot, many protocols have changed. Broadway is dark. The Rockettes are not performing. Many restaurants in the city are closed or have limited seating due to CDC guidelines.
On the brighter side, we hope the storefronts are decorated so that at the very least, you can walk through the city and experience a bit of the season. The great part about New York City is its accessibility. Take a walk around Central Park or Rockefeller Center or the neighborhood where you’re living. New Yorkers are amazing and interesting people so chat with them about their experiences and ask for their recommendations on things to do while out and about.
Winter Travel Assignment: Texas
Last year we wrote about things to do in Dallas, San Antonio, and El Paso, Texas. We have jobs in those areas again this year and in more remote areas as well. The winter is mild here, though not quite Arizona or Florida. The people are interesting and there is always good food, dancing, and outdoor fun to be found.
If you love college towns and shopping local, Austin is the place to visit. Find great BBQ at places like Franklin Barbecue, Terry Black’s Barbecue & Dirty Glove Midwest BBQ. Go mountain biking or hiking at Barton Creek Greenbelt. Go sightseeing at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center or enjoy the fun and people watching on Sixth Street, Austin’s historic entertainment district.
Whether you’re heading to Arizona, Florida, New York, or Texas, we encourage you to research the area before heading out.